Friday, August 27, 2010

Week 1 of school

My first week of my new masters has ended and I'm nervous and excited about the coming semester. I'm still unsure what to expect from the program. Interactive storytelling confuses me a bit in that we don't need to know any software but we have to make something for a final project. Since it's a DAS class I would expect to be using different softwares to create the story or game and even though we "don't have to" I kind of feel like we need to. The story idea I pitched to my group is a cross between Clue, And Then There Were None, and Who's the Murderer. I've been trying to focus on how to make the story interactive so I was thinking:

The audience knows there is a killer on the loose and there are a bunch college students in a house. Originally I thought it would take place in 1 night and they could be on shrooms or some other drug because it would give way for cool effects and more movement...for example, they could be walking through the woods, in the backyard, upstairs in the house, down the street, etc... but drugs aren't necessary. Anyways the killer has been watching the students from the woods behind their house and on one saturday night he decides to kill them. The audience gets to decide who, how, where, and in which order they each die. Then they have to figure out which audience member is the killer and determine whether or not the killer dies, gets arrested, injured, or gets away.

The idea isn't completely thought through and I'm not sure how we would accomplish it. It stems from an idea I had for a movie during my undergrad but obviously the original idea had no interaction, so instead of a movie we would make it a game. The six words would be: Students. Murder. How will they die? I'm not sure what my group thinks about it yet but hopefully we'll decide who's idea we'll do soon. I'm happy with my group members and their different skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment