Monday, September 13, 2010

R.I.P

Today is the 14 year anniversary of Tupac Shakur's death. He was honored on the radio and TV all day. Its a shame he died but at least I got rewarded with a WHOLE DAY of Tupac music videos on MTVJams!!! All of his songs tell different stories. He wasn't the type of rapper to make 15 songs about how much money and jewelry he had or how he liked to get drunk and party all the time. He has some really deep tracks and corresponding videos like "Brenda's Got a Baby" and "Keep Ya Head Up". He also had the fun "California Love" and "How Do You Want It" songs as well. Some of the videos such as, "How Do You Want It" and "I Get Around" are about having fun and partying with lots of beautiful women. However, most of the videos I watched during the all day marathon created a visual story to match his words. Even though I'm not a huge fan of "Brenda's Got A Baby" the video shows Brenda's plight to survive with a child in the ghetto.



I have a big issue with rap music nowadays because its all about money, cars, jewelry, hoes, how I'm the new best rapper ever and everyone else sucks, and making up a dance that is not only stupid but annoying! Few rappers tell stories anymore. While I have to admit I enjoy Gucci Mane's "Wasted" because its fun when you're going to a party or at a bar there isn't any real quality in the lyrics. Everyone thinks Lil Wayne is the most amazing rapper but I don't think he makes sense half the time! I rarely understand what he's saying because, to me, it sounds like whining syllables then a clever metaphor followed by more whining syllables. I think the new school rappers need to take a cue from the originators and realize that just because you have 1 hit song on the radio DOES NOT mean you're the new best rapper alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment