Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Samorost and Mythology

I just finished playing Samorost and while the animation was interesting I'm not a fan. The 6 level game makes you figure out random and weird puzzles to divert a branch from running in to your branch ball world. The game is interactive because you are clicking around to solve the puzzle and advance your little man but the outcome will always be the same. I don't think I'll be playing Samorost 2.

Mythology has always been an interest of mine. When I was a little girl I read books about Greek mythology and loved the stories. The Gods and humans that they interacted with were such vivid characters and the stories were so fantastical that I read them over and over. Persephone was kidnapped by Hades and ate one seed in the underworld so for the 3 months she is separated from her mother is supposed to explain the winter season. Pandora and her box is the reason for all the bad emotions in the world because she couldn't resist the temptation. Icarus, Medusa, minotaurs, nymphs, and chariots flying the sun across the sky filled my mind as a child. Even though I knew they weren't true it was a fun way to explain natural phenomena.

I also liked Aesop's fables including The Ant and the Grasshopper, The Lion and the Mouse, The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs, and the Town Mouse and City Mouse. I never liked The Tortoise and The Hare because it is so unrealistic. The hare would never stop for a nap he would just finish the race and nap after!

Other favorite childhood stories/myths of mine came from a book by Julius Lest called "How Many Spots Does a Leopard Have?" THere are lots of stories about why the sun and moon live in the sky, why dogs chase cats, and tug-of-war. Myths, fables, and other stories are a great way to teach kids not to be vain, jump to conclusions, and to listen to their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment